For our FIRST post, we wanted to do something special. Since fall has officially arrived but here in SoCal, we’re experiencing the hottest days we've had in months we decided to honor the end of summer by sharing our favorite lemon zucchini bread recipe.
We LOVE this refreshing lemon zucchini bread. It’s the perfect bread for a hot summer day when you have extra zucchinis and lemons laying around. It is so full of anti-inflammatory powerhouses that the little bit of sugar it contains is surely balanced out by the green zucchini, lemon, eggs, and medicated coconut oil…it’s basically a vegetable for dessert. A particularly enlightening dessert. Who says you can’t have it all?
With a balanced sweetness and lemon tang, its particularly delicious with an earthy matcha latte that can offer additional anti-inflammatory benefits should you be so inspired. Sounds like the start of a perfect, soothing, day of healing.
…But we don’t want to tell you what to do.
Enlightened Lemon Zucchini Bread
• 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• ½ TSP sea salt
• 2 TSP baking powder
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup AKANA WESTING Medicated Coconut Oil,
• ½ cup sugar (or 1 cup, for a sweeter cake)
• 2 TBL lemon juice
• ½ cup buttermilk (or almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice)
• zest of 1 lemon
• 1 cup grated zucchini
Optional Glaze Ingredients:
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 2 TBL lemon juice
• 1 TBL water
1. Set oven to 350°F
2. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, beat eggs and then add AKANA WESTING Medicated Coconut Oil and sugar. Mix until well blended. Add the lemon juice, buttermilk, lemon zest to this mixture and blend together.
4. Fold in zucchini.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
8. While cooling, make glaze (start with lemon and add 1 spoonful of water at a time while mixing as you may not need it all) and spoon over bread. Let the glaze set before cutting and serving.
NOTE: You can replace the AKANA WESTING Medicated Coconut Oil in the recipe with any unmedicated coconut oil and share with friends!